Pickleball is a highly accessible sport known for its enjoyable gameplay and appeal to individuals of all age groups, including seniors. Its popularity among seniors has been steadily increasing. In this blog, we will present the most recent pickleball growth statistics to provide you with up-to-date information on the expansion of pickleball in the USA.
In this blog on pickleball growth statistics, we are going to provide you the data regarding growth in the total number of pickleball players and the rate of growth in the total number of pickleball players in terms of years.
We are also going to present the data, which will show you the number of pickleball players in terms of region and demographics and the number of pickleball playing locations in terms of states and cities in the USA.
Additionally, we will provide you in this blog with the statistics of the membership and tournaments of the USAPA and the latest statistics and trends of the pickleball market.
You Might Also Like:
Key Pickleball Statistics(As Of 2023)
- According to the Association of Pickleball Professionals (APP), there are 36.5 million pickleball players in the United States as of January 2023.
- The SFIA reports that pickleball participation has undergone an average growth rate of 158.6% over the last three years.
- Over the past three years, pickleball has demonstrated the highest growth rate among all sports in the United States.
- The largest number of pickleball players in the United States Of America is from the age group of 18-34, which is 28.8% of the total number of pickleball players.
- Currently, there are 10,320 locations for playing pickleball across the United States.
- In 2021, the estimated market value of pickleball paddles was $152.8 million, and it is projected to experience a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7.7% until 2028.
Statistics Showing Growth in the Total Number of Pickleball Players
The pickleball industry is excitedly awaiting the publication of SFIA’s 2023 report on pickleball, which will offer updated information on player counts for the year 2022. In the meantime, here is a summary of previous data reported by the SFIA for better understanding of the yearly growth in the total number of pickleball players in the USA:
|Year||Total Pickleball Players|
According to the reports of the Sports & Fitness Industry Association (SFIA),
- In 2017, there were approximately 3,132,000 pickleball players. The number increased slightly in 2018 to 3,301,000 players. In 2019, the player count further increased to 3,460,000.
- In 2020, there was a substantial surge in the number of pickleball players, resulting in a total count of 4,200,000 players. The positive trend continued in 2021, witnessing an even more remarkable increase to a total of 4,820,000 pickleball players.
- However, the most significant surge in pickleball players was observed in 2022, with the player count soaring to 8,900,000. This suggests a substantial growth in the popularity and participation of pickleball over the years.
Growth Rate In Total Number Of Pickleball Players By Year(In %)
Let’s see the growth rate in the total number of pickleball players in the USA from the year 2017 to 2022:
|Year||Annual Pickleball Growth Rate(In %)|
Interpretation Of The Data Showing Yearly Growth Rate In Total Number Of Pickleball Players(In %) According To The SFIA Single Sport Participation Report on Pickleball
The table provided shows the annual growth rates of pickleball participation from 2017 to 2022.
- In 2017, the growth rate was 11.3%, indicating a modest increase in popularity.
- In 2018, the growth rate dropped to 5.4%, indicating that the rate at which pickleball was growing slowed down a bit compared to the previous year.
- In 2019, the growth rate of pickleball decreased further to 4.8%. This indicates that while pickleball was still expanding, the pace of growth was gradually slowing down. It suggests a slight decrease in the trend of the sport’s popularity.
- However, in 2020, there was a significant spike in the growth rate, reaching 21.4%. This indicates a substantial increase in pickleball participation during that year, potentially due to various factors such as increased awareness, accessibility, or organized events.
- In 2021, the growth rate remained at a relatively high level of 14.8%, indicating that pickleball has continued to gain popularity and experienced a significant expansion.
- In 2022, the growth rate saw an extraordinary surge, reaching an impressive 85.7%. This substantial increase indicates a significant boost in the popularity and participation of pickleball. This surge can be attributed to various factors such as increased media coverage, positive word-of-mouth, or the implementation of new initiatives to promote the sport.
Overall, the growth rates demonstrate a generally positive trend in pickleball’s popularity, with notable fluctuations in certain years. The sport experienced a notable surge in 2020 and further accelerated growth in 2022, suggesting an increasing interest and engagement among individuals in playing pickleball.
Total Number of Pickleball Players in the USA in Terms of Region
According to the SFIA Single Sport Participation Report on Pickleball, the South Atlantic Region (consisting of Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia) had the highest number of participants, totaling 1,087,000 or 22.6% of all players.
The West North Central Region (including Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, and South Dakota) experienced the fastest growth in pickleball players, with a year-over-year increase of 29.8% in 2022.
Pickleball hotspots in Middle America, such as Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas, have played a significant role in driving the sport’s recent strong growth.
On the other hand, the Middle Atlantic Region (encompassing New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia) exhibited the slowest growth in pickleball players, with a year-over-year increase of 5.8% in 2021.
Number of Pickleball Players in Terms of Demographics
No: Of Pickleball Players By Gender
- According to the SFIA Single Sport Participation Report on Pickleball, in 2021, about 60.5% of pickleball players were men, while women made up around 39.5% of the total player population.
- In 2021, women exhibited slightly faster growth than men, experiencing a year-over-year increase of 17.6%, while men had a growth rate of 13.0% year-over-year.
Number Of Pickleball Players In Terms Of Age
As per the SFIA Single Sport Participation Report on Pickleball, the largest age group of pickleball players in 2021 was aged 55 and above, accounting for 19.8% of all participants. The second largest age group was players aged 18 to 34, representing 18.5% of the total participants.
In 2021, the average age of pickleball players was 38.1 years. One intriguing finding is that the average age of pickleball players has been progressively decreasing, dropping by 2.9 years from an average of 41.0 years in 2020.
The report also indicated that the fastest growth in pickleball players in 2021 was observed among players under 24 years of age, with a growth rate of 21%. In contrast, the growth rate among players aged 55 and older was slower at 10% year-over-year.
Total Number of Pickleball Playing Locations in the USA
As of now, there are a total of 10,320 pickleball playing locations across the United States where people can play pickleball. These locations encompass dedicated pickleball courts as well as other venues that offer the opportunity to play pickleball, such as tennis courts with designated pickleball lines. We will now provide you with the data on the number of places to play pickleball categorized by states and cities in the USA, accompanied by our analysis and interpretation:
Number Of Places To Play Pickleball In The USA By State
Here is the data showing the number of pickleball playing locations in some states of the USA:
|State||No: Of Pickleball Playing Locations|
Here is the interpretation of the data presented above, which shows the total number of pickleball playing locations available in the USA:
- California has the highest number of pickleball locations with 794, indicating a strong presence of the sport in the state.
- Florida follows closely behind with 770 pickleball locations, showing a significant interest and availability of places to play.
- Texas has 519 pickleball locations, highlighting the popularity of the sport in the state.
- North Carolina has 421 pickleball locations, suggesting many places for pickleball enthusiasts.
- New York and Illinois have 400 and 396 pickleball locations, respectively, indicating a decent availability of venues for playing pickleball.
- Michigan and Pennsylvania have 377 and 357 pickleball locations, respectively, showing a notable presence of the sport in these states.
- Washington and Ohio have 348 and 337 pickleball locations, respectively, indicating a good number of places for pickleball players.
Overall, this data demonstrates the widespread availability and popularity of pickleball across various states in the United States, with California and Florida leading the way in terms of the number of pickleball locations. Belknap park pickleball is also one of the finest parks to learn pickleball.
Number Of Pickleball Playing Locations In Terms Of City
Given below is the table which shows the data regarding the number of pickleball playing locations in terms of cities in the USA:
|City||Number Of Pickleball Playing Locations(In Terms Of City)|
The above table presents data on the number of pickleball playing locations in various cities. Here is the interpretation of the data:
- Seattle stands out as the city with the highest number of pickleball playing locations, boasting a total of 49 venues. This highlights the strong presence and popularity of the sport within the city.
- Denver and Portland follow closely behind with 37 and 33 pickleball playing locations, respectively, indicating a substantial availability of venues for pickleball enthusiasts in these cities.
- Minneapolis, Knoxville, and Austin residents have access to a substantial number of pickleball playing locations. Minneapolis has 33 venues, while Knoxville and Austin offer 32 locations each. This means that pickleball enthusiasts in these cities have plenty of options when it comes to playing the sport.
- Similarly, the cities of Wichita, Houston, Indianapolis, and Tucson provide pickleball players with a good number of options. Each of these cities has 31, 29, 29, and 29 pickleball playing locations, respectively. This indicates there is a commendable availability of venues for playing pickleball in these cities, allowing residents to enjoy the sport to a great extent.
Overall, the table indicates that these cities have a notable number of pickleball playing locations, highlighting the popularity and accessibility of the sport in these areas.
Membership and Tournament Statistics of the USA Pickleball Association (USAPA)
Here are some statistics related to the USA Pickleball Association (USAPA) regarding membership and tournaments:
- The USA Pickleball Association currently has approximately 68,697 members, showing a significant increase of 29.4% from the previous year (2021).
- There are currently 1,973 USAPA ambassadors who actively promote the sport of pickleball at all levels.
- In 2022, a total of 237 official pickleball tournaments sanctioned by the USAPA were held, representing an impressive annual increase of almost 55%.
- The USAPA currently certifies 212 pickleball referees, including 478 Level 1 and Level II referees.
- The Professional Pickleball Registry, which serves as the training partner of USAPA, conducted 202 workshops in 2022 with nearly 2,000 participants.
- In 2022, the USAPA (USA Pickleball Association) awarded a total of 138 grants, encompassing various initiatives such as community development and youth programs.
- In 2022, the official social media platforms of USAPA made significant strides as the number of followers grew by over 50%, marking a remarkable advancement.
These statistics demonstrate the growing popularity and engagement with pickleball through USAPA’s membership, ambassadorship, tournaments, referee certification, training workshops, grants, and social media presence.
Pickleball Market: Latest Statistics and Trends
In 2018, the United States had the highest market share in pickleball worldwide, accounting for 74% of the market, while Canada had a market share of 5.4% which was the second highest.
According to a recent report by Fact.MR, the pickleball equipment market was valued at $65 billion in 2022. The report predicts a consistent annual growth rate of 9% for the market, projecting its value to reach $155 billion by 2033. The pickleball equipment market in the United States is projected to have a growth rate of 8%, while Canada is expected to experience a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7%.
According to the Major League Pickleball and Professional Pickleball Association, 47 major pickleball tournaments are going to take place in the United States in 2023. These tournaments will showcase players from the top three professional pickleball tours, which are Major League Pickleball (MLP), The Professional Pickleball Association (PPA), and the American Association of Pickleball Professionals (APP).
The average age of pickleball players has decreased from 41 years in 2020 to 38.1 years in the year 2021, indicating a growing popularity of the sport among younger individuals.
According to Business Research Insights, the pickleball paddle market was valued at $152.8 million in 2021. They anticipate a yearly growth rate of 7.7%, projecting the market to reach $256.1 million by 2028. This indicates a significant increase in demand for pickleball paddles over the forecast period.
At the end of 2022, the United States of America had a total of 8.9 million pickleball players, representing an increase of approximately 4.1 million players compared to the previous year’s count. This significant growth indicates a surge in popularity and participation in pickleball across the country.
In this blog, we have shared a list of pickleball growth statistics that clearly demonstrate the increasing popularity of this game throughout the United States. We hope that by providing you with these latest pickleball growth statistics, you have gained a better understanding of the widespread appeal and growth of pickleball.